Lead Backend Developer
Are you sick of mixing server side code and html? Do you love building a clean separation of data and logic? Come build logical, secure and scalable APIs for our Frontend team to work their magic with.
We design and build disruptive technology solutions that give entrepreneurs, businesses and brands an unfair advantage. We’re on the hunt for a super talented Lead Backend Engineer to join our established Design and Frontend teams.
As a core part of our development team, and leader of our Backend function, you will participate in the hands-on architecture and development of our websites and products. You’ll have a great understanding of web development technologies, possesses a positive attitude, and have a desire to learn new technologies.
While a small part of the role will be managing the development process, continuous-integration and deployment of our projects (as well as the opportunity to architect the deployment system going forward), the bulk will be hands on coding, building rest APIs serving up JSON to our web products.
We’re looking to be technology agnostic and able to genuinely suggest the best tech for each project and product we work on. Our legacy work is in PHP (Symfony 2) so experience in, and an ability to support on that, is a benefit but not a must-have. Going forward we want to be building the Backend in Node as that’s what we’re using on the Frontend. We have great synergy between our Frontend Developers and the Design team, and we’d like to see that same chemistry between the Frontend and Backend teams.
This role will be supported by our strong, tight knit, driven team of Frontend Developers, Designers, and Project Managers here at NEVERBLAND. We champion a culture that owns the why, thinks fast & ships smart. We understand how great design and UX, underpinned by forward thinking tech, delivers great products. Working from our lively central London office you’ll fill your days engaging interactive products that people will love.
- Proven track record of being part of the successful delivery of projects across the entire app life cycle: concept, design, build, deploy, test, release and support.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, particularly the ability to communicate technical matters simply and clearly to non-technical colleagues.
- Ability to work efficiently and iterate often to produce high-quality code.
- Experience working in a team developing highly functional, data-rich web applications with dynamic, JS-driven interfaces.
- Capability to rapidly understand and accurately assess business needs and prioritise and propose suitable technical or process solutions.
- Strategic thinking: the ability to evaluate options in the short, medium and long term and balance short terms pressures against longer-term strategic requirements.
- Experience with agile development methodology and working with cross functional teams.
- Develop robust web applications and services to meet product and marketing requirements
- Develop and maintain micro-services built with Docker and deployed on Amazon Web Services
- Interface closely with product and engineering teams to develop/maintain new and existing web-based applications
- Participate in an Agile development environment / Scrum team
- Participate in product development meetings, technical discussions, design and code reviews, and project scoping
- Write well-documented, clean and refactored code based on TDD practice
- Provide accurate estimates for tasks
- Perform functional analysis and debugging
- Write and update documentation (requirements, functional design, etc.)
- Work to project schedules, timelines and deadlines
- Promptly communicate issues and problems as they arise
- Build exciting websites, apps, and products, that people will use and love and learn first-hand about how to start, grow and market new startups and products.
- Killer setup - a mac and dual monitor setup should you wish.
- A "take what you need holiday" policy (although there are some guiding principles to make sure it works). We respect that people know how to do their job and take their responsibilities seriously but when you need a break you need a break.
- You’re free to work from home as and when you need as long as it doesn’t interfere with your role, projects or team.
- A fridge packed with free lunches, Hummingbird Bakery birthday cakes, monthly haircuts in the office, lots of beer, a generous L&D budget for conferences and meetups, some crazy parties and more fun than you can shake a USB stick at ;)
**Please note, we can only accept applications from candidates who are eligible to live and work in the UK.**
NO RECRUITERS PLEASE.